Friday, March 16, 2012

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Critique

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs 1937

I noticed quite a few interesting things throughout the movie. First I noticed that at the beginning of the movie you could not tell that she was a princess since she was dressed in raggedy clothes that were torn. Plus she was cleaning outside which you may not expect a princess to be doing. To me this was not how a princess should or would dress or act. She appeared to be of low income or in poverty based on how she looked or dressed. I know this is an assumption but what do you think the children were thinking. They may be thinking that poor people have to do the cleaning and housework.

I also found it interesting that it seemed to portray that if you are beautiful then people dislike you and may want to cause harm to you. This is a little scary for young children to think like. First the evil queen wants to be the prettiest and since she is not she wants to kill whoever is even though it is her daughter. Little girls may start to think that you want to be pretty but never the prettiest. That to me is a mixed message. Little girls should not be worrying about the looks period, let alone at such a young age.

I did notice some gender stereotyping for the princess and for the dwarfs. For Snow White, she seemed to be the motherly figure and the one that cleaned up after the dwarf’s (men). While she cleaned all day, the men were at work doing manual labor. This is a typical stereotype portrayed in many movies and stories. This may make little children believe that women stay home all day and clean while the men do all the hard work outside the house. Women are supposed to be the nurturing and motherly figure where men need to be tough and able to get a little dirty. But not always is this true. Now a days we have many women in the workforce along side men. This is where children start to think that boys are the only ones allowed to work and women are only allowed to clean.

The last thing I noticed was how she was easily manipulated into eating the poisonous apple and could only be saved by a handsome man who was the prince. This to me was showing that women can be easily talked into doing things they should know not to. But I do not think that the children watching this will get the same thing out of it. The last part that scares me is the fact that the handsome man (prince) is the only way that Snow White can be saved. This makes our young girls think that they only way to be happy, loved and saved is by a man saving her. In turn this would mean to live happily ever after. We do not need to teach our young girls to rely on boys to be happy.

When I was younger and watched this movie, I do not remember noticing any of these stereotypes other than maybe women are responsible for housework. All I can remember is how much the Queen/witch scared me every time she came on.

Now when I researched the movie, I came across many sources discussing what I noticed. But I was able to find a few more additional interesting things. The first site (www.bodiesdontmatterhere.wordpress.com) was that from a feminist perspective. The site was showing how they felt that the characters were portrayed. They said Snow White was “innocent, beautiful, passive, domestic, nurturing, ideal feminine. She was rewarded with a man.” I agree with this portion because I saw it as being the same as they did. As far as what they saw the Queen to be was, “wicked, grotesque, selfish, narcissism, power hungry, dominating, and monstrous.” At first I never really took many notes about the Queen but I would also agree with these descriptions. She is the evil witch with bad intentions to harm her own daughter for her own selfish reasons. As for the dwarfs, they are characterized as, “childlike, clumsy, unclean, and unlearned.” I do agree that they are seen as childlike and not as clean or smart. They are being taken care of by Snow White. Grumpy even stated, “All women are poison”. That was an interesting point made by the website. This can be very misleading and stereotypical for children to be hearing.

            Another site that I found was www.dailycampus.com. This site said that, “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs sends the strongest message about gender roles. She cleans the whole house and takes on the motherly role. This image was accepted in this time period.” I discussed this in my analysis portion but the part that got my attention was the last sentence which said, “now little girls continue to watch and assume her submissive role with a smile.” This was well put and in my opinion true. The girls may not understand it at first but later on they may.




5 comments:

  1. Hello. I enjoyed reading your analysis. I think you have made very interesting analysis discussing deeply how the story affects young children. I agree with you on some of the points made especially the one where you mentioned that woman are to sit home and do house work as man are to work hard labor. As a child I remember my mom read this story to me and I always thought about how hard it must be for one woman to be cleaning up for 7 man :} funny me, but I think I had a point, since it is what the story represents. I think this analysis gets us to think about how actually unapropriate those movies might be and the exposition our children are involved in while watching.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good work with your critique. You included your observations as well as outside resources. Good use of images to support your writing. I think the sexism in this film is fairly blatant and the gender role messages are loud. The whole idea of princesses, although enticing, are limiting for our young girls. We need strong role models. I'm wondering what the new film coming out (with Julia Roberts) will do. The previews show Show White rescuing the prince, so I think they updated the story a bit. :-)

      Delete
  2. When you brought up the point of Snow White living with the Dwarves' and cooking and cleaning up after them while they all went off to work one day brought me back to when I was young and would watch this movie. Even thought I was young, I remember my mom talking to me and making a comment about just that, and how lots of women go to work also and how it is everyone's job to clean up after themselves. I don't remember having any thoughts on the topic when I was young -it was just a movie. But I do remember after talking to my mom that I began to notice and question things like that.
    You brought up several intersting features of this movie. I haven't watched it since I was young and you really took me back. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite classic Disney movies; I actually pretended to be Snow White for most of my childhood. Your critique hit the nail on the head when it comes to gender roles. I remember seeing this movie and wanting so badly to eat a poison apple and be kissed by my prince charming! haha. Most princess movies like this put finding your "prince charming" as the most important thing in a girls life; which is very misleading, and confusing for young girls. I like that you mention that because it is an important point. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you on your critique. They show Snow White as assuming a traditional woman role with the housework and wanting to find the man of her dreams and get married. I wish that it showed her getting a college degree first. :) I see how this movie could be a heavy influence on young girls however. It makes it all seem so magical.

    ReplyDelete